The internet has changed the way we communicate and relate to one another and it has done so on many levels. Today people have the tendency to use digital communication instead of in-person or verbal telecommunications. This adds a modicum of convenience, however with this convenience comes a degradation of human interaction. I believe the internet has rekindled friendships of the past through the use of social media, however one must actually delve into this a little deeper and come up with their own answers. For myself, I have a Facebook account and initially I had a grandiose vision of interacting with people from my past at a high level. However, for me this turned out to not be the case. I probably converse with about 3% of my “friends” on Facebook. I believe people have an innate desire to be socially accepted, but the time and commitment required to execute an actual friendship is at times cumbersome and does not fit into their daily routine. While perhaps some people enjoy internet communication rather than person to person communication, I believe most people still today actually enjoy the company of another person in their presence more. My speculation is, the percentage of this ratio will move more towards internet communication in the future as people become more detached from actual physical human interaction due to the acceptance of computers as an extension of us…
No comments:
Post a Comment